Monday, January 16, 2017

Fall 2016 - Extended Studies - Monotype


After much delay, here are finally the photos from one of the most fun Extended Studies classes I have ever taught. One could think about Monotype as a low commitment, easy going, fun printmaking technique. Except of course for precise registration, and various technical aspects it is highly experimental, and starts out fairly fast. By fast I mean students tend to have their first results and prints done within the first 20 minutes of the first class. Starting simple, with just black and white images and adding complexity and more techniques in every session over 7 weeks. We use Akua inks in this class, so it's a safe and easy way to transfer it into one's own art practice at home.

I am teaching this class again this Winter term, registration is open here. 



The first session was filled with manipulating black ink with various materials, rags, q-tips and pieces of cardstock. This is Dave's fabulous first experiment. 


The second session everyone brings found materials and we manipulate the ink with various techniques and these materials. Above is Pat's print where she create beautiful depth through the use of large bubble wrap.


Dave really loved working in black and white and came up with so many interesting images. 






Rainbow roll fun!




Inked Plexiglass with leaf impression.

Lovely mix of found materials and drawing by Mary.


Experiments with dry media came next. Quite a bit more challenging and we learned that the choice of paper really makes a big difference in the success of this method.

In preparation I made test plates with many different materials. The top is the plate, the bottom right is test with transparent base and on the right is a test with Akua release medium. 





Louise's dry media experiments, on the left the print and on the right the plexiglass plate.




Pat's successful tulip print. 



Fish seemed to be a recurring theme in this class, here are Mary's. This is a multi-layered color print, each color gets inked on the plate separately, and wiped. First the yellow, then the red then the blue. Each wiped and printed before moving on the the next colour layer. This is where registration become very important and that can be a challenge. But practice makes perfect! 



Here is the key drawing that she used as a guide for her image. 



Another one of Mary's prints. 


Louise has a plan for her print.



3 hours later and many layers, finished!



And Louise is at it again, I love how this song bird progressed from early stages to finished print.




I just love this gorgeous print by Dave, below is the finished version, with the plate.



An early version of Dave's multi-layered print.
Below is the finished version.


Another one of Dave's sail boat prints. Lovely!


On the last day of class we always have a little potluck while working. YUM!



Louise did a fabulous job with this 7-8 layer print. Here she is wiping ink away with Q-tips from her plate to create her image.


Step by step progression. 


The finished print.



Pat created a stunning Monotype of fish and finished it with a final blue layer on the last day, it made it pop! 




Pat moved away from prints of fish for a short period to make a print of pears. She also pulled a ghost print of almost each layer, so she ended up with two dramatically different prints (one very pale) but surprisingly both where beautiful.


The finished pears. 


As always my students completely blew me away with their fantastic works! I can't wait to teach this class again! 


Sunday, December 4, 2016

Holiday Open Studio Event


Through a glitch on my website, the two posts I had written to remind people of this event did not show up in the newsfeed on the website as expected, which may have added to a fairly low turn out this time around. Either way it was a pleasure to meet some new people and spend some time with friends who stopped by. Thank you to everyone who did come out and extra thank you those who adopted a few of my pieces for their enjoyment and that of whoever they are gifting it to. 

Here are some photo of the set up this time around:





















As many of the large paintings are at the Corridor Gallery I decided to pull some of my portrait prints out for this Open Studio Event. 

















"Cellular Foundations I" found a new home.